I’ll admit it: I’m a liker of things. It’s not my best quality but whatever. Because what’s wrong with a pretty new shade of lipstick helping me forget that I have poop under my fingernails most days? And if an artisanal (read: over-priced) candle from Brooklyn helps me find my zen during the witching hour while my children run circles around my feet like demonic banshees then so sue me. Also, life is heavy. Occasionally, we need to look at or buy pretty things to distract us from that heaviness and, you know what? It’s okay. I’m okay with it. And you should be okay with it, too.
Obviously, I’m fully aware that I’m no beauty or fashion or lifestyle blogger (and maintain zero intention to become one). But, ask any of my girlfriends and they’ll tell you that if I could be accused of being anything, it’s being the kind of woman who knows exactly what she likes and always shares the love when the find is worth sharing! So, if I’d share all of these finds with a close girlfriend, why wouldn’t I share them here with you, dear reader? I mean, if you all know the status of my mental health, why shouldn’t you also know the shade of lipstick I’m wearing while we’re at it??
*It should also be noted that I am not trying to sell you anything or make any money off of this post or any posts like it in the future (which, by the way, I’d like to maybe turn into a series because I do really enjoy creating them). There are absolutely ZERO affiliate links in this post and there never will be because I hate that kind of thing. These are simply products I’ve personally paid for, use, and enjoy enough to assume that maybe you will, too.*
So, without holding you in any further suspense, here’s what I’m currently into/using/loving at the moment:
1. Jack’s Wife Freda, the eponymous cookbook of the NYC cult culinary establishment. Every recipe I’ve made, which has been almost all of them, has turned out wonderful and comforting and full of flavor. If you like food with a middle eastern influence, you’ll love this book.
2. Shashi Tilu 3 Stack bracelets. These dress up a t-shirt and jeans and look appropriate with just about anything. I’ll definitely be taking them with me to Tulum next month.
3. Goop Exfoliating Instant Facial is a game changer. It’s expensive so I normally buy the smaller jar and use it sparingly. It eliminates any clogged pores, smoothes the texture of my skin, and has helped tremendously with my hormonal break-outs. I use it two to three times a week, usually in the shower after washing my face.
4. BYTA insulated stainless steel tumbler keeps my iced oat milk lattes (or rosé depending on the time of day) as cold as it’ competitor but is actually cute and isn’t outrageous in price or size. The company donates 10% of net profits to the Environmental Defense Fund and by purchasing and using your BYTA, you help rid the world of the 500 BILLION disposable cups produced every year. Environmentalism never looked so chic.
5. My friend, Brooke, sent me a pair of these Bohemia leather Moroccan house shoes after I admired her own pair while spending a long weekend with her this past spring. She found them in a general store in Dumbo and I have to tell you: they are the best gift one can ever receive because leather house shoes aren’t typically an item one prioritizes to buy for themselves. They are super comfortable, hold up well, and the best part is that they aren’t Uggs. As far as sizing, I’m a size 8 in most shoes and a medium fits me perfectly.
6. I got a little wild this fall and purchased these cropped wide-leg trousers with an olive green racing stripe down the side and I’m surprisingly obsessed. I’ve worn them with a chambray button down and sneakers, a white silk blouse and suede heels for date night, and even with a grey cotton tank and Adidas pool slides. They’re versatile and definitely outside of my normal comfort zone but I’m here for them.
7. Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi Anti-Pollution Sunshine Drops are THE BOMB. Full stop. As someone who slathers on the sunscreen all year round yet really appreciates the look of sun-bronzed skin, these give me the best of both worlds. Just make sure you apply by mixing it into your moisturizer or foundation because it’s VERY concentrated and you’ll look like an Oompa Loompa if you use it on its own.
8. These Turquoise African Beads Necklace by Ann Mashburn were one of those impulse buys but as soon as I saw them, I knew my neck needed them. They are simple and colorful and add just enough touch of that certain something to whatever outfit I pair it with.
9. Kosas lipstick in ‘Darkroom’ is the perfect berry-hued lipstick for fall. Kosas is all natural and deeply pigmented so the color stays put and doesn’t bleed or flake. I’ve tried A LOT of natural lipsticks and this one takes the cake. My best friend also swears by Kosas and favors their shade of warm red.
10. I discovered this Auteur candle by OURS Living during my visit to Brooklyn in the spring. Its’ scent is intoxicating and makes a space instantly inviting. With notes of Palo Santo, rose, amber, cedarwood, patchouli, and sandalwood, Auteur lends warmth and sophisticated sexiness to a space that isn’t sweet, flowery, or synthetic.